Why You Shouldn’t Swallow Gum

0
78

You probably know that chewing gum is bad for your teeth, but did you know that swallowing gum can be bad for your health, too? Swallowed gum doesn’t digest and can get stuck in your intestines. It can even cause blockages that require surgery to remove.

So, why is swallowing gum so dangerous? Gum is made of a type of rubber called latex. Latex is not digestible, so when you swallow gum, it can stay in your digestive system for days, weeks, or even months. The longer it stays in your system, the greater the chance of it causing an obstruction.

In some cases, swallowed gum can cause constipation. The gum can form a blockage in the intestines that prevents food from passing through. This can cause severe abdominal pain, vomiting, and dehydration.

In rare cases, swallowed gum can even cause death. In one case, a piece of gum got stuck in a child’s intestines and caused a fatal infection.

So, next time you’re tempted to swallow your gum, think twice. It’s just not worth the risk.

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here