If you’re like most people, you probably use an ATM at least once a week, if not more. And if you’re like most people, you probably use them in public places, like at a bank or grocery store. But did you know that using an ATM in a public place is one of the biggest security risks you can take with your money?
1. You have no idea who has access to the machine.
2. The machine could be tampered with and you wouldn’t know it.
3. There’s no guarantee that the machine is even safe to use.
4. If someone does manage to steal your card information, they can clean out your account before you even know what happened.
5. And even if you do have security features like a PIN number, it’s not impossible for someone to steal that information as well.
So what’s the best way to avoid becoming a victim of ATM theft?
simple: don’t use them in public places.
There are plenty of other options for getting cash, like using a debit card at a retailer, or getting cash back when you make a purchase. And if you absolutely must use an ATM, do it during daylight hours and in a well-lit, populated area.
Don’t take the risk of having your hard-earned money stolen. Stick to using ATMs in private, and you’ll be much safer.