It’s that time of year again. The snow is falling, the temperature is dropping and you’re probably seeing more yellow snow than you’d like. And while it may be tempting to eat this snow (especially if you’re a kid), you should definitely resist the urge.
So why is yellow snow bad for you? Well, it turns out that yellow snow is actually loaded with bacteria and other contaminants that can make you sick.
Here’s a closer look at the science of why you shouldn’t eat yellow snow:
Yellow Snow is Loaded with Bacteria
One of the main reasons why you shouldn’t eat yellow snow is because it is loaded with bacteria. In fact, a study published in the journal Microbial Ecology found that yellow snow can contain up to 9 times more bacteria than white snow.
These bacteria can come from a variety of sources, including animal feces, sewage and even car exhaust. And when you eat this snow, you’re essentially ingesting all of these contaminants.
This can lead to a number of different illnesses, including diarrhea, vomiting and even food poisoning. So it’s definitely not worth the risk.
Yellow Snow can also Contain Chemicals
In addition to bacteria, yellow snow can also contain a variety of different chemicals. These chemicals can come from a number of different sources, including car exhaust, industrial pollution and even household cleaners.
And when you eat snow that has been contaminated with these chemicals, you’re essentially ingesting them as well. This can lead to a number of different health problems, including respiratory problems, skin irritation and even cancer.
So again, it’s definitely not worth the risk.
It’s Best to Avoid Yellow Snow Altogether
If you want to stay healthy this winter, it’s best to avoid yellow snow altogether. This means keeping your hands and feet clean, avoiding areas where yellow snow has been spotted and washing your hands after coming into contact with any snow.
By following these simple tips, you can help reduce your risk of getting sick this winter.