Eating local foods is one of the best ways to improve both your health and the planet. Eating locally grown food is a great way to reduce your environmental footprint while ensuring you’re getting the freshest, most nutrient-rich groceries available. Here are some of the major benefits of eating local foods when it comes to your health and the planet.
1. Lower Carbon Footprint: By choosing to shop at local farmers markets and food co-ops, you’re reducing the energy used to transport food from far away places to your local grocery store. This reduces the emissions created by long distance transportation, which helps the environment and reduces your personal carbon footprint.
2. Fresher, More Nutritious Food: Food from local farmers markets and food co-ops is fresher than food from grocery stores, because it hasn’t had to travel as far. Fresher food means more nutrition, since nutrients diminish over time. Eating fresh, locally grown food can help you get the best nutritional benefits out of your meals.
3. More Flavorful Food: In addition to being more nutritious, locally grown food is also more flavorful than food from the grocery store. That’s because fruits and vegetables from local farmers have had more time to develop their flavor, while food from the grocery store has been picked early to ensure that it won’t spoil during the long shipping process.
4. Support Local Farmers and Businesses: By shopping at farmers markets and food co-ops, you’re supporting local farmers and small businesses in your area. This helps keep your local economy healthy, and can also help preserve local farmland and help farmers protect the environment.
5. Reduced Waste: Shopping at local farmers markets and food co-ops also reduces food waste. That’s because they buy only what they need, rather than stocking large amounts of food that may end up going to waste. This helps reduce the amount of food that’s thrown away and wasted, which is good for the environment.
Eating local foods is a great way to ensure you’re getting the freshest, most nutritious food available, while also reducing your environmental footprint and supporting local businesses and farmers. The benefits of eating local foods for your health and the planet are clear, so make it a point to shop at your local farmers market or food co-op today.