You’ve probably seen those novelty toilet-training kits for cats that promise to make your life easier and your feline friend’s bathroom habits less of a mystery. While these products may work for some cats, others may need a little more guidance in order to learn how to use the toilet like their human counterparts.
I was lucky enough to have a cat who was naturally curious and quick to learn new things, so teaching her to use the toilet was a relatively simple process. Here’s how I did it:
1. Start by placing the litter box in the bathroom next to the toilet. This will help your cat get used to the new surroundings and associate the toilet with her bathroom habits.
2. Introduce your cat to the toilet seat by letting her sniff it and explore it at her own pace. Once she seems comfortable, lift the seat and let her check out the inside of the bowl.
3. Slowly begin moving the litter box closer to the toilet until it is finally in position underneath the seat.
4. At this point, you may need to experiment with different types of litter to find one that your cat prefers. Some cats prefer clumping litter while others prefer non-clumping.
5. Once your cat is using the litter box consistently, it’s time to start the flushing process. Begin by flushing the toilet while your cat is in the bathroom so she can get used to the noise.
6. Next, prop the seat up with a book or something similar so your cat can see inside the bowl. Let her approach the toilet at her own pace and get used to the idea of flushing.
7. Finally, it’s time to remove the litter box entirely. Some cats will take to the toilet immediately while others may need a little more time to adjust. Either way, be patient and keep rewarding your cat for good bathroom behavior.
With a little patience and perseverance, you can teach your cat to use the toilet just like a human. Not only will this make your life easier, but it will also save you money on litter in the long run!