Do you find yourself feeling irritable, irrational, and just plain “hangry” when you haven’t eaten in a while? If so, you may be suffering from hanger.
What is hanger?
Hanger is a term used to describe the experience of feeling irritable or irrational due to hunger. While it is not an official medical diagnosis, many people can relate to feeling “hangry” from time to time.
What causes hanger?
There are a few different things that can cause hanger.
1. Low blood sugar: When you haven’t eaten in a while, your blood sugar levels can drop. This can lead to feelings of irritability, fatigue, and even dizziness.
2. Dehydration: If you’re not drinking enough water, you may start to feel cranky and irritable. This is because dehydration can cause headaches and make you feel tired.
3. Hunger hormones: There are certain hormones that are released when you’re hungry. These hormones can make you feel irritable and anxious.
4. Nutrient deficiencies: If you’re not getting enough vitamins and minerals, you may start to feel cranky and irritable. This is because your body isn’t getting the nutrients it needs to function properly.
5. Stress: If you’re feeling stressed, it can make hanger worse. This is because stress can cause your blood sugar levels to fluctuate and can make you feel more irritable.
How to deal with hanger
There are a few different things you can do to deal with hanger.
1. Eat regularly: One of the best ways to prevent hanger is to eat regular meals and snacks throughout the day. This will help to keep your blood sugar levels stable and will prevent you from getting too hungry.
2. Drink plenty of water: Drinking water will help to prevent dehydration and will also help to fill you up so you don’t feel as hungry.
3. Avoid sugary and fatty foods: Foods that are high in sugar and fat can cause your blood sugar levels to fluctuate and can make hanger worse.
4. Eat nutrient-rich foods: Eating foods that are high in vitamins and minerals will help to ensure your body is getting the nutrients it needs.
5. Manage stress: If you’re feeling stressed, try to do some relaxation techniques such as yoga or meditation. This can help to lower your stress levels and can make hanger easier to deal with.