It’s a dangerous new trend that’s sweeping the internet: teens eating Tide Pods.
The laundry detergent packets, which are about the size of a quarter and come in a variety of colors, have been turned into a meme in recent years. The challenge involves filming oneself eating the packet, then posting the video online.
But what started out as a joke has now turned into a dangerous trend, with some teens actually ingesting the toxic chemicals found in the detergent.
Just last week, a 16-year-old girl in Arizona had to be rushed to the hospital after she ate a Tide Pod. And earlier this month, a young man in New York had to be treated for severe burns after he put a Tide Pod in a bowl of hot water and inhaled the fumes.
So why are teens doing this? It’s hard to say. Some experts believe it’s a case of copycat behavior, while others believe it’s simply a way for teens to rebel.
Whatever the reason, it’s important for parents to be aware of this trend and to talk to their kids about the dangers of eating Tide Pods.
The laundry detergent packets are filled with toxic chemicals, including bleach, that can cause serious health problems if ingested. Symptoms of Tide Pod poisoning include vomiting, difficulty breathing, and loss of consciousness. In severe cases, it can even lead to death.
So if you see your teen posting a video of themselves eating a Tide Pod, don’t hesitate to reach out and talk to them about the dangers. It could just save their life.