7 things you didn’t know about your cat

0
67

Most cat owners think they know everything there is to know about their furry feline friend, but there are actually quite a few things that even the most die-hard cat lover might not know. Here are seven things you probably didn’t know about your cat:

1. Cats sweat through their paws

That’s right, your cat sweating through its paw pads is not just a myth – it’s actually true! Cats have sweat glands in their paw pads which they use to regulate their body temperature. So if you see your cat’s paw pads sweating, it means they’re probably too hot and you should help them cool down.

2. Cats can be left- or right-pawed

Much like humans, cats can be either left- or right-pawed. In fact, around 40% of cats are left-pawed, while the remaining 60% are right-pawed. However, unlike humans, the majority of cats (70%) are actually ambidextrous, meaning they use both their left and right paws equally.

3. Cats can make over 100 different sounds

While dogs can only make around 10 different sounds, cats can actually make over 100 different vocalizations. This includes purring, meowing, growling, hissing, and more. Each of these sounds can convey a different message, from showing affection to warning of danger.

4. Cats have a third eyelid

You may have noticed that sometimes your cat’s third eyelid (also called the nictitating membrane or haw) pops up. This is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about – the third eyelid is there to protect your cat’s eye from debris or injury.

5. Cats have a GPS-like system in their brains

Cats have an amazing ability to always find their way home, no matter how far they wander. This is because they have a built-in GPS system in their brains that allows them to orient themselves and remember specific locations.

6. Cats can slow down their heart rate

When a cat is resting, their heart rate can slow down to as low as 130 beats per minute. This is much slower than a human’s heart rate, which is usually around 70-80 beats per minute.

7. Cats spend around 70% of their day sleeping

It’s no secret that cats love to sleep, but did you know that they can spend up to 70% of their day snoozing? That means a typical 9-hour day for a cat would be spent sleeping for around 6 hours.

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here