Vinegar is one of the oldest and most versatile ingredients in our pantry, and it is often overlooked as an all-purpose cleaning and household solution. While most commonly used as a cooking ingredient, vinegar has a variety of unexpected uses that can help you around the home. Here are 5 unexpected uses for vinegar in everyday life.
1. Cleaning – Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and deodorizer, and it can be used to clean and deodorize a variety of surfaces. To clean countertops, sinks, and other kitchen surfaces, simply mix one part vinegar to four parts water and use a sponge to wipe the surface. For tougher stains, you can use a paste made of equal parts vinegar and salt or baking soda. To deodorize carpets, mix half a cup of vinegar with one gallon of hot water, and use a cloth to blot the carpet.
2. Unclogging Drains – Vinegar can be used to unclog drains and clear away soap scum. To unclog a drain, pour a cup of baking soda down the drain, followed by a cup of vinegar. The combination of the two ingredients will create a reaction that will help to loosen and clear away blockages.
3. Disinfecting Produce – Vinegar is a great way to clean and disinfect fruits and vegetables. To do this, fill a bowl with a mixture of one part vinegar and three parts water. Soak the produce in the solution for 15 minutes, then rinse off with cold water.
4. Weed Killer – Vinegar can be used to kill weeds in your garden or yard. To do this, mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle, and spray it directly onto the weeds. This should kill the weeds, but it is important to be careful not to spray any desirable plants.
5. Pest Control – Vinegar can be used to repel a variety of pests, including ants and roaches. To do this, mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle, and spray it around the perimeter of your home, as well as in areas where you have seen pest activity.
These are just a few of the unexpected uses for vinegar in everyday life. With its cleaning, disinfecting, and pest-repelling properties, vinegar is an incredibly versatile ingredient that can help you around the house.