Did you know that soap is one of the oldest and most versatile products in the world? Here are five interesting facts about soap that you probably didn’t know:
1. Soap is thought to have originated in ancient Babylon around 2800 BC.
2. The word “soap” is derived from the word “sapo,” which was the Latin word for soapwort, a plant that was used to make soap in ancient times.
3. The first soap-like substance was probably made by boiling fats and ashes together.
4. Ancient Romans used to make soap by mixing animal fat with wood ashes.
5. In the Middle Ages, soap was made from a variety of ingredients including animal fat, ashes, and even human urine.
Soap has come a long way since its humble beginnings. Today, it is a multi-billion dollar industry with hundreds of different varieties of soap available on the market. From scented to unscented, natural to synthetic, there is a soap out there for everyone.