Did you know that pandas are one of the world’s most endangered animals? There are only around 1,600 left in the wild and just over 300 in zoos and breeding programmes. Here are five things you didn’t know about pandas…
1. Pandas are native to China and have been revered by the Chinese people for centuries. In Chinese culture, the panda is seen as a symbol of peace and tranquility.
2. The scientific name for the giant panda is ‘ailuropoda melanoleuca’, which means ‘black and white cat-foot’.
3. Pandas are very good swimmers and have been known to swim for miles at a time.
4. Despite their cuddly appearance, pandas can be quite aggressive and have been known to attack humans.
5. Pandas are not actually bears – they are members of the raccoon family.