Did you know that the sun is huge? It’s so big that it could fit about 1.3 million Earths inside of it! Not only is it big, but it’s also pretty old. Scientists believe that the sun formed about 4.6 billion years ago. That’s almost as old as the universe itself!
Here are 10 other fascinating facts about the sun:
1. The sun is mostly made of hydrogen and helium. In fact, it’s made of about 70% hydrogen and 28% helium. All of the other elements combined make up less than 2% of the sun.
2. The sun is huge and extremely bright, but it’s not the biggest or brightest star in the universe. There are stars out there that are 100 times bigger than the sun and 1,000 times brighter!
3. The sun is so bright that it’s actually blinding. You should never look directly at the sun because it can damage your eyes. In fact, just looking at the sun for a few seconds can cause permanent blindness.
4. The sun is huge, but it’s not as big as some of the planets in our solar system. Jupiter, for example, is about 11 times wider than the sun.
5. The sun is really hot! The surface of the sun has a temperature of about 5,500 degrees Celsius (9,932 degrees Fahrenheit). That’s hot enough to melt most metals!
6. The sun is so hot that it emits a huge amount of radiation. In fact, the sun emits more radiation in one second than all of the nuclear weapons in the world have ever emitted in their entire history.
7. The sun is huge and bright, but it’s not the only star in the sky. There are billions of other stars out there, some of which are actually bigger and brighter than the sun.
8. The sun is so big that it has its own gravity. This gravity is what keeps planets like Earth in orbit around the sun.
9. The sun is so bright that it’s the main source of light for our planet. In fact, the sun is responsible for about 99% of the light that reaches Earth.
10. The sun is huge, bright, and hot, but it’s not eternal. Scientists believe that the sun will eventually run out of fuel and die. When this happens, it will expand and become a red giant. Eventually, it will cool down and turn into a white dwarf.